Logan Paul triumphed over the iconic Rey Mysterio to capture the United States Championship at WWE’s Crown Jewel event in Saudi Arabia. Paul’s foray into WWE began in 2021 and led to a formal multi-year contract with the organization in 2022. Since then, he’s participated in a series of prominent matches, including standout performances at WrestleMania.
Prior to his victory at Crown Jewel 2023, Paul had made impressive appearances at WrestleMania and the Royal Rumble, though a championship title had eluded him. His earlier attempt at the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship at Crown Jewel 2022 ended in defeat to Roman Reigns. However, his fortunes changed at this year’s event, where he overcame the veteran Mysterio to secure the United States Championship.
The match concluded with controversy, as expected. Mysterio executed a 619 on Paul, but unbeknownst to Mysterio, Paul had donned brass knuckles. As Mysterio launched into his customary springboard splash, Paul rose and struck him mid-flight with the knuckles, ensuring his downfall and clinching his inaugural WWE title.
By securing the United States Championship, Paul adds his name to a venerable list of wrestlers, harking back to the first champion, Harley Race, in 1975. This accolade is seen as a stepping stone, with many former holders progressing to win world titles. Whether Paul will ascend to such heights remains to be seen, but his current fame suggests it’s a possibility.
Given his youthful age of 28 and his long-term contract, Paul’s future in WWE looks promising. What comes next, especially after his contentious victory, likely involves a rematch with Mysterio before Paul sets his sights on new challengers.
- Sami Zayn defeated JD McDonagh in the Pre-Show.
- Seth Rollins retained the World Heavyweight Championship against Drew McIntyre.
- Rhea Ripley successfully defended her Women’s World Championship in a Fatal-Five-Way Match.
- Solo Sikoa emerged victorious over John Cena.
- Logan Paul seized the WWE United States Championship from Rey Mysterio.
- Iyo Sky retained the WWE Women’s Championship against Bianca Belair.
- Cody Rhodes def. Damian Priest
- Roman Reigns (with Paul Heyman) def. LA Knight for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship