Highlights of the Night:
The WWE NXT episode following the No Mercy event brought forth new developments and continued sagas. With fresh champions crowned and old disputes settled, the aftermath was evident on the October 3 edition of NXT.
Trick Williams, spurred on by Rhea Ripley’s challenge, found himself facing a reinvigorated “Dirty” Dominik Mysterio, with the North American Championship on the line. Would Trick be able to prove himself as a true fighting champion?
Becky Lynch, fresh from defending her NXT Women’s Championship against Tiffany Stratton, took to the stage, addressing potential new challengers. Who would rise to the occasion?
Post his momentous NXT Championship win, Ilja Dragunov was expected to make an appearance, with former champion Carmelo Hayes trailing closely.
The 2023 Women’s Breakout Tournament kicked off with budding stars like Lola Vice, Kelani Jordan, and Jakara Jackson vying for a future title shot.
After Gallus cost The Bruiserweight the Heritage Cup, Butch and Tyler Bate teamed up once more, eyeing retribution. Was a British Strong Style reunion on the cards?
All signs pointed to an electrifying night of wrestling as NXT’s upcoming talents seized the spotlight.
- Becky Lynch’s New Challengers: Becky Lynch, with her eyes on future bouts, was keen on defending her NXT Women’s Championship at the upcoming Halloween Havoc Night 1. After Lyra Valkyria threw down the gauntlet, both Indi Hartwell and Roxanne Perez followed suit. This led to Becky setting up a triple threat match to decide her next challenger. The segment, although lengthy, efficiently spotlighted the new contenders.
- Butch and Tyler Bate vs. Gallus: Displaying their undeniable synergy, Butch and Tyler Bate proved too formidable for Mark Coffey and Wolfgang. Their victory, however, was marred by post-match chaos involving Joe Coffey and Ridge Holland.
- Ilja Dragunov and the NXT Championship: As Ilja Dragunov celebrated his recent triumph, Trick Williams and Carmelo Hayes interrupted, leading to an engaging confrontation and further teasing a rift between Hayes and Trick.
- Women’s No. 1 Contender Match: In a hard-fought contest, Lyra Valkyria emerged victorious over both Indi Hartwell and Roxanne Perez. Despite her impressive performance, Hartwell’s lack of opportunities since her promotion was evident.
- Breakout Tournament – Kelani Jordan vs. Izzi Dame: Kelani Jordan showcased her in-ring prowess, defeating a dominant Izzi Dame, solidifying her status as a favorite in the tournament.
- Tag Team Clash – Elektra Lopez and Lola Vice vs. Thea Hail and Jacy Jayne: In a surprising twist, Thea Hail and Jacy Jayne emerged victorious, posing questions about NXT’s plans for the previously unbeaten Lopez and Vice.
- North American Championship – Trick Williams vs. Dominik Mysterio: The evening’s main event saw a flurry of interventions, culminating in Dominik Mysterio defeating Trick Williams, regaining the North American Championship.
While the post-No Mercy NXT edition had its moments, it lacked the spark of previous episodes. The focus seemed diverted from the brand’s core roster, potentially due to the forthcoming clash with AEW Dynamite. On the bright side, the emphasis on the women’s division, led by Becky Lynch, was commendable. The evolving dynamics between Carmelo Hayes and Trick Williams promise intriguing storylines ahead.
Final Grade: C+